Re: LAN N/w thruput, Basic Qs - Off-Topic

From: Mark Brinsmead <mark.brinsmead_at_shaw.ca>
Date: 2005-12-24 01:27:00

Just to develop that at bit further, allowing your switches / NICs to autodetect /
auto-negotiate can do a lot worse than that... I've personally seen situations where
a 100Mbit NIC was "maxing out" at somewhere between 5 and 10 Mbit/s until autodect was disabled. Granted, that was a *very* old PC running Windows, but I am led to believe that this situation is surprisingly common.

I am told by people who know much more than me (not that this says much) that it is a good practice to hard-code link speeds and duplex settings rather
than letting your NIC try to guess. The way I see it, even if this advice is
nonesense it can't really hurt -- as long as you get the settings right. ;-)

As for actual network bandwidth, don't be fooled by "nominal" bit rates. 100Mbit/s (or whatever) is a "theoretical" maximum. Token based networks can often come close to this nominal maximum, but most other networks where collisions are possible (e.g., ethernet) are likely to peak somewhere between 60% and 80% of the nominal maximum.

'Course, I'm *far* from being a networking expert. It's been years since I've
been allowed into a wiring closet (and I don't think *anybody* has ever allowed me into one voluntarily).

Cheers,
-- Mark