RE: can't open database after restore

From: Allen, Brandon <Brandon.Allen_at_OneNeck.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 08:53:31 -0700

Hi Drake,

If it was a hot (inconsistent) backup, you will need at least the archived logs taken during and/or immediately after the completion of the backup so it can recover through hot backup period to bring the database to a consistent state before opening. I think there may be unsupported methods of forcing it open without first recovering to a consistent state, but I'm not familiar with them. Regarding the failed restore of your archived logs, it may be because you're trying to restore them to a different machine and the media manager hasn't associated those backup images with the new server. You may be able to spoof the server by setting a variable such as NB_ORA_CLIENT and/or some other config options, or alternatively you could try restoring the archive logs onto the original server and then copying them over from there to the test server and pointing RMAN to them.

Regards,
Brandon