Re: ITC value is higher than MAXTRANS for index blocks

From: K Gopalakrishnan <kaygopal_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 10:41:05 -0800

Jonathan:

I have also seen this in couple of cases earlier (with non ASSM tablespace also). I suspect this could be a bug. The variable part of the datablock can not exceed 50% of the block size and in practice we don't need to allocate more 'itc' than 'nrows'. That is a total waste of space,

KG

On 11/25/05, Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> I saw your post on AskTom, and followed that one up
> before I got this. But in direct answer to your question.
> It IS possible to get itc > maxtrans on TABLES (because
> of the oddity I describe in the note on AskTom), so
> maybe it can happen on indexes too.
>
> Regards
>
> Jonathan Lewis

> The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ
>
> http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/cbo_book/ind_book.html
> Cost Based Oracle: Fundamentals
>
> http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/appearances.html
> Public Appearances - schedule updated 4th Nov 2005

Best Regards,
K Gopalakrishnan
Co-Author: Oracle Wait Interface, Oracle Press 2004
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/007222729X/