Re: ITC value is higher than MAXTRANS for index blocks

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 08:29:14 -0000

I saw your post on AskTom, and followed that one up before I got this. But in direct answer to your question. It IS possible to get itc > maxtrans on TABLES (because of the oddity I describe in the note on AskTom), so maybe it can happen on indexes too.

Regards

Jonathan Lewis

http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/faq/ind_faq.html The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/cbo_book/ind_book.html Cost Based Oracle: Fundamentals

http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/appearances.html Public Appearances - schedule updated 4th Nov 2005

Dear All,

Env:
Oracle 9.2.0.6 3-Node RAC,Sun OS 2.9
Block size 16K
At this point we took block dump for an index using below statement; select 'alter system dump datafile 9 block min '||c1||' block max '||c2||';' from (select block_id c1,(block_id + blocks-1) c2 from dba_extents where segment_name='T1_PK')
SQL> / 'ALTERSYSTEMDUMPDATAFILE9BLOCKMIN'||C1||'BLOCKMAX'||C2||';'

alter system dump datafile 9 block min 23889 block max 23896;

The block dump shows ITC value as 255 for 3 out of 8 blocks even though the maxtrans value
is defined as 4.

Question:
Is it possible to have ITC value higher than MAXTRANS value?