RE: Schema objects version control

From: Steve Ollig <sollig_at_lifetouch.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 10:42:22 -0600

Ben -

Our shop is similar to Ron's. Rather than using a GUI to generate schema change scripts and such, we version control our ddl (create table sql and the like). I've found depending on a GUI to generate a schema change script is often more trouble than it's worth.

As an example, if I were to add a column to table A, I would add my column to the create table statement in CVS. My schema change script would simply call the revised create table statement. It would also involve creating a backup copy of table A with a CTAS, dropping the table, then the call to my revised create table statement, putting back the data, and finally re-creating indexes, privs, constraints, etc... All pretty cookie cutter.

Yes - that's some work and some GUIs will attempt to do a lot of that for you. But I find it more efficient to work directly with the text based ddl.

I use the GUI tools to get the pretty pictures. I also find them handy when kicking stuff around in the design phase. But when the rubber hits the road, I'm all about the ddl scripts.

This email has been scanned by the MessageLabs Email Security System. For more information please visit http://www.messagelabs.com/email