10g release 2 with 8i

From: BOWES, CHRIS <Chris.Bowes_at_kosa.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 10:57:38 -0500

Hi,

     Has anyone had any problems with 8i and 10g R2? I have a Win2k server running 8i (8.1.7.4) databases. On port 1521 we have the 8i listener to talk to our 8i bases. I downloaded and installed 10g release 1 and set up a 10g r1 listener on 1522 to experiment with. It started and worked with no problems. It talked easily to both the 8i bases that already existed and the 10g bases I created to test. Since this was August, I decided to wait for 10g release 2. When it released, I un-installed 10g release 1, rebooted the machine and installed 10g release 2. As soon as I started the 10g release 2 listener, issues started happening. Immediately the 8i listener started getting the message

10-OCT-2005 22:20:15 * service_died * 0

It gets this message every minute. It doesn't say what service died or with what error. I can't find anything wrong in any of the alert.logs from the bases.

Along with that, the 10g listener will not connect to the 8i bases. It works just fine with the 10g bases we created, but every time I try to connect to one of the existing 8i bases I get

Ora 12518 listener could not hand off client connection .

In the 10g listener.log I get

08-OCT-2005 16:32:29 *
(CONNECT_DATA=(SID=snaps)(GLOBAL_NAME=snaps.world)(CID=(PROGRAM=C:\oracl e\ora81\bin\SQLPLUSW.EXE)(HOST=USSALW005577)(USER=cbowes))) * (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=140.169.2.88)(PORT=2230)) * establish * snaps * 12518

TNS-12518: TNS:listener could not hand off client connection
TNS-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error
TNS-00530: Protocol adapter error

32-bit Windows Error: 2: No such file or directory

So what file is missing? Any way to find out? Have any of y'all had these issues with 10g R2 and 8i on the same box? None of these issues came up with 10gR1. It's just release 2 that is doing this to me. Should I un-install and re-install?

 I have tried metal link and Google and Oracle support. No one knows how to fix it yet. Oracle told me to try DIRECT_HANDOFF_TTC_LISTENER=ON and then OFF and neither setting worked.

Here is the listener.ora file for 10g. Anything stand out?

STARTUP_WAIT_TIME = 0
CONNECT_TIMEOUT = 10
TRACE_LEVEL = OFF
LISTENER =
  (ADDRESS_LIST =

        (ADDRESS =
          (COMMUNITY = TCP.world)
          (PROTOCOL = TCP)
          (HOST = ussalsora001)
          (PORT = 1522)
        )
        (ADDRESS=
          (PROTOCOL=IPC)
          (KEY= test10)
        )
        (ADDRESS=
          (PROTOCOL=IPC)
          (KEY= snaps)
        )

  )
LOG_FILE_LISTENER = listener
SID_LIST_LISTENER =
  (SID_LIST =
    (SID_DESC =
(ORACLE_HOME=c:\oracle\ora10_2)
(SID_NAME = test10)
(GLOBAL_NAME=test10)

    )
    (SID_DESC =
(ORACLE_HOME=c:\oracle\ora81)
(SID_NAME = snaps)
(GLOBAL_NAME=snaps)

    )
    (SID_DESC =
(SID_NAME = TOWCANS)
(ORACLE_HOME=c:\oracle\ora10_2)
(PROGRAM=tg4msql)

    )
  )
TRACE_LEVEL_LISTENER = off

Any ideas and or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

--Chris
KoSa, Inc.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This electronic mail transmission may contain information that is confidential, privileged, proprietary, or otherwise legally exempt from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy or disseminate this message, any part of it, or any attachments. If you have received this message in error, please delete this message and any attachments from your system without reading the content and notify the sender immediately of the inadvertent transmission. There is no intent on the part of the sender to waive any privilege, including the attorney-client privilege, which may attach to this communication.