RE: How much time can save using _disable_logging on 10g

From: Marquez, Chris <cmarquez_at_collegeboard.org>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 12:01:53 -0400

>>shutdown abort with _disable_logging and you'll see some interesting
consequences

Ahhhh yes we conversed on this topic a while back. I used _disable_logging for migration purposes after a lot of TEST my process.
I kept wondering why my test db was crashing hard...we had some disk issue at the time, so that seemed the culprit. Turns out I kept leaving my TEST db up with _disable_logging enabled during server reboots...it did not come back happily

A great and very, very challenging recovery filled with undocumented parameters that rendered my TEST database un-supported. I was able to recover sometimes, but others not. Think I was "bumping scn's" and allowing reset log corruption. You have not lived until you have recovered a database this way...nasty!  :o)
Also, learned and documented the "clean way" to stop using _disable_logging and put my db back in archive log mode.

Sorry, "yes" _disable_logging saved time during my migration (at the risk of loosing it all on the *new* server, but not on the old server).

Chris Marquez
Oracle DBA

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Connor McDonald Sent: Monday, October 10, 2005 11:08 AM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Re: How much time can save using _disable_logging on 10g

shutdown immediate is still a clean shutdown.

Try shutdown abort with _disable_logging and you'll see some interesting consequences

hth
connor

--
Connor McDonald

"Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat"