Re: How to know the problem is overheating in the hardware

From: <tboss_at_bossconsulting.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 09:53:34 -0400 (EDT)

We see this with our HP/UX boxes constantly. We've got them stored in this janitor closet-turned-server room (always a bad idea).

In hp, look in /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log, you'll see messages like this: (cut-n-pasted from my dev server)

Aug 25 07:42:29 HOSTNAME /usr/sbin/envd[1181]: ***** OVERTEMP_CRIT WARNING ***** Aug 25 07:42:29 HOSTNAME /usr/sbin/envd[1181]: Temperature exceeded the normal operation threshold. Correct the over-temperature condition.

This doesn't necessarily crash the server, just tells you its getting hot. Eventually though the machine will just shutdown; hope you have backups.

We have Solaris, Windows, Linux boxes in the same room w/ no temp issues.

Its really a SA issue; if you have a sys admin who's not being proactive about this, you really can't do much else except talk to the guys' manager. I guess in theory you could run Oracle processes to grep for keywords out of the syslog and report back ... but you're the DBA right? You have enough other things to worry about (like whether or not to put on Autoextend on all your tablespaces ... ah I love religious arguments). :-)

todd