how do you decide your db_cache_size

From: Michael McMullen <ganstadba_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 12:20:19 -0400

In reference to Buffer Cache hit very low I should have said keep the SGA below 2GB but I'm standing by enlarging the buffer cache. I never said it would help the BCHR. I'm a firm believer in method R and I don't live in Kittrell NC but to exaggerate to make a point what if your buffer cache is 1Mb? Do you still say figure out your bad sql? No, you increase it, then work on the bad sql. Personally, I think an 250Mb cache size for a 40Gb database doing large batch jobs is too small and really the db_cache_size would be lower as I think that was referring to total SGA. Now, I have one db/server - 17 databases only one 64Bit. Databases are all > 100Gb. I set up a new database on 32bit, automatic 1700Mb db_cache_size. To be honest. We have a corporate wide licence for oracle and it's always been easy to get hardware. Hard to get people though. So though whole scoping thing never happens.
So how do you all decide your db_cache_size?

Mike