Re: storage requirements for numeric datatypes

From: d cheng <dc4oracle_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 09:20:04 -0700 (PDT)

Thank you Edgar and Yasin for your responses.

Edgar Chupit <chupit_at_gmail.com> wrote:Detailed description of NUMBER datatype is available here http://www.ixora.com.au/notes/number_representation.htm

Yes, the actual consumed space for NUMBER datatype will depend on the actual data.

If you are going to store floating point values, you can consider using binary_float or binary_double. This datatypes represent standard IEEE float values and are 5 and 9 bytes long (extra byte is consumed by datatype). This datatypes are very useful if you need to store operational data or scientific data, and you can tolerate binary precision.

Datatypes are available from 10g, you can read more about them:

http://download-uk.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14200/sql_elements001.htm#sthref95

On 9/14/05, d cheng wrote:
> Hi listers,
>
> I am working on a sizing estimate for a one billion row table. This table
> will have ten numeric columns. Is there storage savings if the numeric
> columns were defined as NUMBER(12,2) versus NUMBER(22,7). Will the storage
> requirements depend on the actual numeric data values?
>
> Thank you in advance for your help!
>
> - David

> Yahoo! for Good

Best regards,