Re: export import Speed up

From: Jamie Kinney <oracledude_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 22:17:37 -0700

The approach entails the following steps:

  1. Create empty tables with appropriate storage clauses in the destination database.
  2. Create database links between databases.
  3. Create unique indexes which correspond to the PK indexes on your source tables.
  4. Create materialized views using the pre-built tables with fairly frequent refresh intervals, but an inital refresh which is a month or two out.
  5. Perform complete refreshes manually on each materialized view.
  6. Perform fast refreshes on each snapshot.
  7. Run the fast refresh jobs to have them start refreshing automatically.
  8. Create any other required indexes.
  9. Create all other packes, views, synonyms, triggers, etc...
  10. At cutover time, shut down the listeners to all traffic except your target server.
  11. Perform a final fast refresh of each table.
  12. Enable constraints novalidate using your existing indexes.
  13. Start up listeners on the new database and open it up to users.

I use DDL wizard (search Google) to parse a dataless export file and generate DDL for any and all objects. It's free and can also be used to change things like storage clauses, schema names, partitioning, etc...

This approach can be used to migrate data between platforms, versions, RAC and non-RAC, ASM and non-ASM.

-Jamie