RE: Choosing data file size for a multi TB database?

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 23:23:16 -0400

Re: Choosing data file size for a multi TB database?Of course this is a trick question, because you actually back up to alternating sets of disks so that you always have a backup of each physical file available (ie. copy b still exists when you're making copy a).

Then for restore you just point at your most recent and apply logs. (after preserving the online redo logs and making copy c, perhaps, unless copy b is secure as well as the logs to get b current just in case).

But seriously, if you're gated on 16 tape drives, then you want some multiple of 16 independently operating trays of drives. The number of files beyond the even multiple of 16 trays seems irrelevant to me, but maybe that is an artifact of how I lay things out. How do you get into trouble otherwise (giving you the 16 as the minimum number for non-split distribution tape sets)? You did say a full restore, right?

(notice I did *NOT* enter into the debate about whether managing a lot of files is a hassle or not. I do observe from time to time that the folks who have very many files tend to be the ones who have trouble managing them, but we probably never hear from the folks who have no trouble managing lots of files, so that is probably a sampling error.)

Of course since you're really using raw files, you can just carve them up into convenient sizes by starting address and length to fit in 90-95% of a tape's length. (rahaha!) I still hate ribbon rust. (Except when you need it.)

Regards,

mwf