Re: DB Movement from Sun to AIX ?

From: Paul Drake <bdbafh_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 12:44:17 -0400

On 8/22/05, Byron Pearce <pearceb_at_tenure.com> wrote:
> I concur. I have done tasks very similar to what Tim is describing and
> it works great.
>
> One caveat, though, is to make sure you're using USB 2.0 if your laptop
> doesn't support Firewire. I got stuck doing several hundred GB's over
> USB 1.1 once and the experience was almost too painful to discuss.

They didn't call it USB 1.1 for nothing. USB 1.1 ~ 1.1 MB/sec transfer rate off of a USB mounted external IDE drive. The same drive mounted on a USB 2.0 interface provides for about 27 MB/sec sustained transfer rate.

Yes, there are vendors of PCI-X USB/1394 Firewire adapters, I found one for about 80 USD.
If you instead hang the external IDE drive off of your laptop, you'll be limited to about 9 MB/sec transfer due to the fast ethernet bottleneck ... unless your laptop has a GigE nic.

Pd

> On Mon, 2005-08-22 at 10:52, rjamya wrote:
> > Excellent idea Tim,
> >
> > I'd say take 2 such disks with backup ... just in case solar flares
> > decide to act up.
> >
> > Raj
> >
> > On 8/22/05, Tim Gorman <tim_at_evdbt.com> wrote:
> > This may sound a bit minimalist, but you can buy a 300Gb-512Gb
> > firewire drive
> > for $300-$500 or so. Make it into NFS mounted volumes
> > presented from a
> > laptop. Copy files to it, pack up the laptop and the drive(s)
> > and then just
> > drive to the other facility, repeat process in reverse.
> Byron Pearce mailto:pearceb_at_tenure.com
> Tenure Systems, Inc. Dallas/Fort Worth, TX
>
> "It's hard to be a ninja when you wear a beeper."

#/etc/init.d/init.cssd stop
# f=ma, divide by 1, convert to moles.