Re: DB Movement from Sun to AIX ?

From: Byron Pearce <pearceb_at_tenure.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 11:34:33 -0500

I concur. I have done tasks very similar to what Tim is describing and it works great.

One caveat, though, is to make sure you're using USB 2.0 if your laptop doesn't support Firewire. I got stuck doing several hundred GB's over USB 1.1 once and the experience was almost too painful to discuss.

On Mon, 2005-08-22 at 10:52, rjamya wrote:
> Excellent idea Tim,
>
> I'd say take 2 such disks with backup ... just in case solar flares
> decide to act up.
>
> Raj
>
> On 8/22/05, Tim Gorman <tim_at_evdbt.com> wrote:
> This may sound a bit minimalist, but you can buy a 300Gb-512Gb
> firewire drive
> for $300-$500 or so. Make it into NFS mounted volumes
> presented from a
> laptop. Copy files to it, pack up the laptop and the drive(s)
> and then just
> drive to the other facility, repeat process in reverse.

Byron Pearce				mailto:pearceb_at_tenure.com
Tenure Systems, Inc.			Dallas/Fort Worth, TX

"It's hard to be a ninja when you wear a beeper."