Re: Running catpatch, etc. after db in use

From: Paul Drake <bdbafh_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 18:36:56 -0400

On 8/12/05, J. Dex <cemail_219_at_hotmail.com> wrote:
> Can catpatch.sql and utlrp.sql and upgrade catalog be run after the database
> is already being used?

yes, after you shut it down cleanly, back it up and start it back up with a

SQL> startup upgrade

as prescribed in the readme.html.
Make sure that the memory pools are above the minimums as stated in the readme.html.

> Is there going to be additional problems if the compatibility parameter has
> already been set to 9206.

tough to say, as the dictionary is only 9.2.0.4. perhaps oracle is smart enough to ignore the faulty parameter setting. lets just say that you're in dark territory, there. have there been errors in the alert_log, bdump, cdump, udump?

> On one of my databases I inadvertently forgot to do the post-install steps
> of running the above after applying 9206 to a 9204 database. Unfortunately
> application data has already been set up in the database and users have
> already begun adding data to the databases. I am not sure what the impact
> is of running the above scripts now.

impact:

database will be unavailable while the dictionary is being backed up and then upgraded.
(perhaps even backed up again before being put back into service)

Besides running catpatch, check the readme.html for any other pre and post apply steps.

hth.

Paul

--
#/etc/init.d/init.cssd stop