RE: dba_tables.num_rows is less than dba_indexes.num_rows

From: Leng Kaing <Leng.Kaing_at_hsntech.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 15:34:50 +1000

Wolfgang,

This is all news to me...

  1. I always thought that NUM_ROWS is important. I know that a few weeks ago when I noticed the differences in the num_rows in tables vs indexes, we manually increased the table's num_rows and the query would revert to using an index rather than a full table scan. I have yet to do a test to see if what would happen if I set NUM_ROWS to a small number, eg. 5.
  2. I also did "..., estimate_percent=>dbms_stats.auto_sample_size, method_opt=>'FOR ALL INDEXED COLUMNS', degree=>2, cascade=>true"

Are you saying that FOR ALL INDEX COLUMNS or FOR COLUMNS only gathers histograms for the tables, but not the stats? So do I have to do it in 2 steps - gather stats, then gather histograms?

3) I've never computed on any of the systems that I've worked on. And it certainly cannot be done on the current database as it would take too long. I always thought an estimate would be good enough. Now I'm hearing that only a compute will do. ARGH!! We cannot afford to do this.

Leng Kaing
Hansen Technologies
2 Frederick St; Doncaster VIC 3108

Tel: +61-3-9840-3832