v$backup_corruption - FRACTURED vs. LOGICAL & Solutions

From: Marquez, Chris <cmarquez_at_collegeboard.org>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 17:08:15 -0400

What is the meanings for "FRACTURED" & "LOGICAL" values in the CORRUPTION_TYPE column of the v$backup_corruption view.

We are seeing these results when run this select.

select distinct a.FILE_ID, a.TABLESPACE_NAME, a.FILE_NAME, b.CORRUPTION_TYPE, b.BLOCK# from dba_data_files a, v$backup_corruption b where a.FILE_ID = b.FILE#
order by a.FILE_ID, a.TABLESPACE_NAME, a.FILE_NAME, b.CORRUPTION_TYPE, b.BLOCK# /

   FILE_ID TABLESPACE_NAME                FILE_NAME                                CORRUPTION_TYPE                 BLOCK#
---------- ------------------------------ ---------------------------------------- --------------------------- ----------
         4 USERS                          /o05/oradata/orcl/users01.dbf         FRACTURED                        16138
         4 USERS                          /o05/oradata/orcl/users01.dbf         FRACTURED                        16141
         6 E_INDX                   /o04/oradata/orcl/e_indx_06.dbf LOGICAL                         193043
         6 E_INDX                   /o04/oradata/orcl/e_indx_06.dbf LOGICAL                         193555

At one time we did have real RMAN and alert.log block errors when backing up USERS tablespace. Today I backed up this datafile using RMAN without error. We have never used traditional OS HOT backup (mode) methods to backup our database.

Our db_block_* parameters;
SQL> show parameter db_block_

NAME                                 TYPE            VALUE
db_block_checking                    boolean         FALSE
db_block_checksum                    boolean         TRUE

How could "DBMS_REPAIR" and/or "DBVERIFY" be used to validate and fix any corruption we might have. Again, at this time do not have and have never been aware of alert.log errors related to block corruption. Also this database has be restored to other servers using RMAN without indication of block corruption.

And again, what is the meaning, implications, checks, and solutions for; "FRACTURED" & "LOGICAL" values?

Chris Marquez
Oracle DBA