Re: Does anyone run test win vs. linux and can share how muchfaster is linux than windows, please?

From: Darrell Landrum <darrell_at_landrum.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 11:08:32 -0800

  I haven't read this entire thread yet so please excuse me if I'm   repeating something that was already said.

  I've noticed (haven't precisely measured/tested yet) that given a   machine running windows that has 2 GB of memory and an Oracle   database (9.2.0.5 in my case) with an SGA of 250 MB and you increase   your db_cache_size by 200 MB, you get 150 to 200 MBs of additional   pagefile use and real physical memory use only increases slightly, 50   MB or less. Now maybe, just maybe, Windows is dynamically reducing   it's physical memory use to accomodate Oracle's need for more, but I   seriously doubt that.

  I'm not a Microsoft basher, actually quite the opposite, and I'm sure   there are a lot of folks out there happy with their Oracle database   on a Windows server, but due to memory management alone, I lean   toward linux/unix platforms for Oracle database use.

  Besides, no matter how much I work on scripting with wmi on windows,   you can't beat the simple, yet broad functionality of shell scripting   on linux/unix for managing Oracle.