RE: Does anyone run test win vs. linux and can share how muchfaster islinux than windows, please?

From: Billy Verreynne (JW) <VerreyB_at_telkom.co.za>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 16:06:48 +0200

Leandro Guimaraes Faria C. Dutra wrote:

> If a particular OS is of bad quality,

Windows?

> and moreover if it participates in a culture of low
> quality, chances are it will have bad performing parts
> and components one depends on will be badly implemented.
> It will even tend to have lower quality sysadmins with
> bad information -- specially if it's a black box.

Okay, so you are talking Windows.

I agree that sysadmin is of a lower quality and that the Win o/s kernel has its hood welded shut. Unlike Linux. But then that does not imply that the o/s is of a weak quality.

Linux is not Windows and Windows is not Linux.

Simple example. I would not implement any type of Unix-like forking model ever on Windows. Because Windows will do it badly. Conversely, there's networking stuff I can do on Windows (like sharing a network port) in a way which I cannot do the same on Linux (which btw is utterly frustrating and forcing me to redesign the basic software architecture we use for real-time network data collection).

Someone that tells me that the o/s is slow, bad and sucks, is simply telling me that they do not know how to correctly use that o/s.

Granted, often times it is easier to do it correctly on Linux as the hood is not welded shut. Despite what Microsoft's Marketing says. :-)

But saying Windows is bad because it is not Linux.. That simply does not cut it as a valid argument.

> OK, but that does not preclude the possibility of a specific
> application depending on something that was badly implemented in a
> particular OS.

And whose fault is that? If for example one want to use an application that employes a forking model on Windows, the problem is not with Windows, but with the idiot that made that decision to put that code as is on Windows.

As for pointing to "badly implemented" features - like some of the open barndoors that used to be in Microsoft networking.. The same applies to Linux. The X11 protocol is a piece of crap. It is old and completely outdated. And have been hacked with multiple extensions as life support.

So pointing a finger at Windows is not valid.. Unless you point the same finger at Linux and expose its flaws too.

--
Billy

This e-mail and its contents are subject to the Telkom SA Limited
e-mail legal notice available at
http://www.telkom.co.za/TelkomEMailLegalNotice.PDF