Re: Partitioning Advice

From: d cheng <dc4oracle_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 15:20:46 -0700 (PDT)

Thank you for your feedback.
It complained about missing righ parenthesis after the to_char function specification. I enclosed the numbers with single quotes so they match the to_char function in the partition key clause.

sol beach <sol.beach_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>have not been successful with it.

Too bad you did not share the actual SQL and returned ERROR message.

Why do you have the numbers 2-8 enclosed in single quote marks

On 8/2/05, d cheng wrote:
> Hi listers,
>
> I have the following audit table for which I am trying to come up with a
> partitioning strategy so I can keep 7 days worth of data.
>
> create table AUDIT_LOG
> ( TRANSACTION_DATE DATE,
> USERID NUMBER,
> OPCODE VARCHAR2(3),
> MSGTEXT VARCHAR2(255));
>
> I tried the below but have not been successful with it. Are there other
> approaches to accomplish my goal?
>
> PARTITION BY RANGE(to_char(TRANSACTION_DATE,'D'))
> (PARTITION P1 VALUES LESS THAN ('2')),
> PARTITION P2 VALUES LESS THAN ('3')),
> PARTITION P3 VALUES LESS THAN ('4')),
> PARTITION P4 VALUES LESS THAN ('5')),