Partitioning Advice

From: d cheng <dc4oracle_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 14:33:00 -0700 (PDT)

Hi listers,

I have the following audit table for which I am trying to come up with a partitioning strategy so I can keep 7 days worth of data.

create table AUDIT_LOG
( TRANSACTION_DATE DATE,

USERID NUMBER,
OPCODE VARCHAR2(3),
MSGTEXT VARCHAR2(255));   I tried the below but have not been successful with it. Are there other approaches to accomplish my goal?

PARTITION BY RANGE(to_char(TRANSACTION_DATE,'D'))
(PARTITION P1 VALUES LESS THAN ('2')),

PARTITION P2 VALUES LESS THAN ('3')),
PARTITION P3 VALUES LESS THAN ('4')),
PARTITION P4 VALUES LESS THAN ('5')),