Re: Counterquestion - is Oracle a He or a She - or an It or a

From: Nuno Souto <dbvision_at_iinet.net.au>
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 21:42:29 +1000

Billy Verreynne (JW) apparently said,on my timestamp of 1/08/2005 9:19 PM:

> Who introduced zero terminated strings? The dimwits who designed the C
> language, not? :-)

Can't remember, but is it the same in Java and/or php?

> *That* is the problem. Pascal has a much better and cleaner solution
> as it stores the actual string size in the zero char position (though
> the physical implementation has changed slightly with 2GB string
> support).

Kinda like the Oracle VARCHAR in Pro*, ain't it?

> Anyway, this means that in Pascal/Delphi a string can happily contain
> #0's. Which again proves that Delphi rules and C/C++ is simply uncool.

You got a darn good point there... I always forget about Delphi, yet it's an excellent product!

> PS. Did you watch the Tri-Nation's opening game? Lots of relief here
> that we managed to beat the Wallabies. :-)

Narh. I've been glued to Montreal and the swimming championship. When Grant or Ian go swimming, all else takes second place chez-Souto. :)

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto