RE: OT Oracle Server Operating System

From: Kevin Closson <kevinc_at_polyserve.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 08:59:20 -0700

 >>>platforms. Like today some people don't consider DB2 on

>>>non-IBM platforms. And large companies are very careful
>>>about how many O.S.'s they support.

the top two revenue platforms for UDB are Windows and Solaris.

After a really close encounter with becoming a monopoly over 20 years ago, IBM morped themselves into the most choice-oriented company out there...with HP being a close second.

I'd get used to Linux if I were you. And since Linux is open source, it will be very easy for Oracle to make their own distro. Once they have that, the list of "supported","certified", "unbreakable","unimaginable" hardware will be very short...very likely not to include and IBM hardware, since they have a software business too you know...