9.2 (64-bit) HP-UX 11.0

From: Mark Burgess <mburgess_nz_at_yahoo.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 10:44:15 +1000 (EST)

Hi,

we are currently in the process of evaluating the memory requirements of 9.2.0.6 on HP-UX 11.0 compared to 32-bit 8.1.7.4 on the same platform. In reviewing an Oracle Metalink Note (Ref # 209766.1) one of the recommendations is a possible doubling of the size of shared_pool_size. There are a few additional questions that I have around the possible additional memory requirements on a 64-bit platform:

  1. Are there any memory areas outside of the shared pool that may double in size? Background processes, server processes?
  2. If there is an increase in process memory and shared memory does this affect only the pga component of session memory? Would this typically be double the requirement of the same session memory as 32-bit 8.1.7.4?
  3. Are there any additional considerations outside of those documented in the above Metalink Note?

Any comments or observations on the above would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Mark