Re: Oracle Free Monitoring link

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 19:51:50 +0100

On 7/15/05, Marquez, Chris <cmarquez_at_collegeboard.org> wrote:

> Yeah I would not consider Quest Spotlight a "monitoring" tool.
> Meaning you can't go home and have Spotlight warn/alert you about free
> space...or locks.
> It is for "active monitoring"...active diagnostics much in the way a DBA
> would actively (not constantly) query v$session, etc.
> It puts "face" on the Oracle database.
> Spotlight does a great job of pointing you in the right direction when you
> already know *something* is wrong...not telling you something is wrong ahead
> of time.
> Spotlight is to much of a client PC hog to run it for more than several
> databases for a log time.
>
> Regarding "face"...the GUI itself. I have not seen the 10g "Dashboard",
> but I have a hard time, based on past experience believing that OEM has a
> better, more intuitive, and compete GUI than OEM. Am I wrong?...is OEM 10g
> GUI that good...that changed.
> I did hear the Oracle hired away many Quest Developers?

   The 10g EM web *interface* is dreadful, utterly dreadful IMO. 2 links labelled the same on the same page for goodness sake that do different, though similar things. Sometimes the only clue that you ought to look at something is a tiny, tiny icon and so on. It's very very poor. The * functionality* is rather good actually, but sometimes I think they hired people with my web design skills or worse.

   I can't comment on release 2.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA