RE: OT moment of doubt

From: Carel-Jan Engel <cjpengel.dbalert_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 22:41:29 +0200

Jareds method is what I use most of the times. When I'm really unsure, I run a small loop like (Apologies Jared, this still isn't perl):
for file in *.dbf
do

   echo mv ${file} ${file}.GONE
done

When the results are OK, command history is my friend to repeat the whole thing without the echo.

After a while, the *.GONE files can safely be removed. (Be sure the essential program didn't have them opened al the time, unaware of the renaming)

Just my $0.02

Carel-Jan

===
If you think education is expensive, try ignorance. (Derek Bok) ===