Re: Oracle password dictionary

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_allegientsystems.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 12:43:02 -0400

thomas_arnezeder_at_non.agilent.com wrote:

>Got a question about password strength. It's possible to enforce the complexity of a password in the password_verify_function. But is there a way to check an oracle pw against a dictionary at the time the pw gets changed (and perhaps reject the new pw)? On UX you have the ckpw tool where you can check against a pw dictionary.

I usually use names from books of Kurt Vonnegut Jr.: "tralfamadore" and "kilgoretrout" are good examples.
Nobody ever has managed to break in. For some reason, not too many people like "Slaughterhouse B",
"Breakfast of Champions" or "Cat's Cradle". It's the same thing that was done by US military in WWII:
they used Navajo language as a code. There was no way in heck that the enemy could learn the language
in short time. Without extensive knowledge of Vonnegut's work, you can't possibly break in. If you read
all the Vonnegut's books, you deserve to get in.

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA