Re: Cant bring up cold backup

From: Mark Bole <makbo_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2005 06:35:40 -0700

Your error could be completely unrelated to the restore and (questionable) recovery. ORA-600 error => Metalink.

I did a test of what I recommend you do for your restore/recovery process, to be sure it works. No on-line redo log backups are required, since you are not doing instance recovery, and no archive logs are required, since you are not doing media recovery -- you are doing no recovery at all.

Here are the steps: I copied only the datafiles and control files of a cleanly shutdown database (I tested both with and without archivelog mode, just to be sure). I safely moved all the online redo log files out of the way (since this process will create new online redo logs using the same filename as the source database).

I did a "startup mount" for the new database instance and renamed all the datafiles to the new directory location (since I was doing this on a single machine).

I went through the motions of a recovery

SQL> alter database recover until cancel; Database altered.
SQL> alter database open resetlogs;
Database altered.

Nothing was actually recovered, despite the syntax. I verified this in the alert log:

Mon Jun 6 05:46:01 2005
alter database recover until cancel
Media Recovery Start
Media Recovery Not Required
Completed: alter database recover until cancel Mon Jun 6 05:46:09 2005
alter database open resetlogs

This shows that, without using the online redo logs of the source, you can restore the cleanly-shutdown current controlfile and datafiles of the source. At this point, you can add/move/drop your online redo log groups, change the database ID using the "nid" utility, and of course re-create your tempfiles (since they are not included in the controlfile information).

-Mark Bole

Bob wrote:
> Hi Mark and everyone else who has responded, I havent worked on this
> problem over the weekend, much too nice to be inside ;-)
>
> Anyway, its not (should not) be a recovery. This is a simple cold backup
> being brought back to life, using create control file to (..new file
> locations). The recover data file seems erroneous to me as the database
> was not in archive log at the time and was shutdown very gracefully. I
> did have these databases in archive log at one time but it has turned
> off and been restarted several times.

[...]

--
Mark Bole