Re: Cant bring up cold backup

From: Bob <bobmetelsky_at_comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2005 21:38:54 -0400

Hi Mark and everyone else who has responded, I havent worked on this problem over the weekend, much too nice to be inside ;-)

Anyway, its not (should not) be a recovery. This is a simple cold backup being brought back to life, using create control file to (..new file locations). The recover data file seems erroneous to me as the database was not in archive log at the time and was shutdown very gracefully. I did have these databases in archive log at one time but it has turned off and been restarted several times.

To me this seems like a bug and Ive tried to restore 2 cold backups only to have the same disconnect message, and oracle generates the nasty dump file. I have a few long shot suggestions but I wont be working on this for a few more days.

Clean shutdown= no users on the system & shutdown immediate -> database closed
Db status at the time of shutdown, no archive log for over 2 months with at least 2-3 gracefully shutdown during that time cold backup = copied and zipped datafile (on ice) to be brought back on line using the recreate control file....

oracle and os versions the same 10.3 winxp pro

thanks again for the input or any other suggestions Thanks to all others for their suggestions as well, I'll post back once this comes front burner

bob