RE: Oracle RAC cost justification?

From: Sean Hull <shull_at_iheavy.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 23:31:08 -0400 (EDT)

> And though it strays a bit at times, but not very far, I've found this
> thread very interesting, even if it is 28 emails so far (more now I
> suppose). I am very interested in what people are seeing in the real world
> regarding RAC, and why they chose it, why they like/regret it, and
> alternatives that have been considered. So yeah, I don't know diddly about
> RAC ;-) That's why I find this thread interesting, it is very educational
> ;-) I can read all the docs and white papers until I'm blue in the face but
> real world takes on it are nice to hear.

Larry, I tend to agree. Though I've setup RAC on Linux/Firewire, and am in the process of setting it up on VMWARE (or more likely http://xensource.com/, a free alternative for Linux) I haven't used RAC in production either. And before reading the "You Probably Don't Need RAC" the only sources I had were Dave Ensor's discussion in "Tales of the Oak Table".

There's the marketing story, and then there's real-world experience. They're always different in some ways.

So thanks all around...

Sean

--
Sean Hull, Senior Consultant
Heavyweight Internet Group

Sean Hull, founder and senior consultant of Heavyweight Internet Group
is the author of O'Reilly and Associates "Oracle and Open Source"
bridging Open Source software and integration with the world's best
performing database, Oracle. http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/oracleopen/