Re: DataGuard and closed/cold backups

From: Carel-Jan Engel <cjpengel.dbalert_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 20:02:40 +0200

Jackie,
A couple of years ago I was able to move a database of 90 GB from Singapore to The Hague, using Data Guard, through only a 128 kilobit dual ISDN dial up line. The downtime of the database was 45 minutes. Of course this was in ASYNC mode, logtransfer by ARCH.

The trick was calculating the average amount of redo produced weekly, and have enough bandwidth for just that. The outage was planned carefully, including stopping / starting the apps it took 1.5 hour.

We took a (hot) backup in Singapore, airmailed the tapes to The Hague, restored them and synchronised. We started sending the archives at the moment the backup was made. We excercised several activations in The Hague before we did the final move.

Best regards, Carel-Jan

On Tue, 2005-05-31 at 18:58, The Oracle wrote:

> I'm helping out a sister company who needs to send a copy of their
> database to a vendor. They tried a hot backup, and it apparently was
> deemed unreadable by the vendor... So by the time the request came to
> me, they had already decided to do a cold backup and send that out.
> I'm just trying to avoid having them take the production database down
> to do it, as this will create more problems than it's worth...
>
> Thanks very much for the info!
>
> -Jackie
>
> On 5/29/05, Carel-Jan Engel <cjpengel.dbalert_at_xs4all.nl> wrote:
> > Jacky,
> >
> > Why on earth would you take a cold backup these days?
> > It is probably not a problem, the only issue I see is you have to activate
> > the database after mounting it as a standby database. I have never tried it,
> > though, because I cannot see the point of taking a cold backup. So, again,
> > why not take a hot backup?
> >
> > Best regards,
> >
> > Carel-Jan Engel
> >
> > ===
> > If you think education is expensive, try ignorance. (Derek Bok)
> > ===
> >

> > On Mon, 2005-05-30 at 00:05, The Oracle wrote:
> > Well, I've R'd the FMs, and can't seem to find a clear answer - as I'm
> new
> > to DataGuard, I need your help! :-)
>
> I've been asked what the ramifications
> > of doing a cold backup on a
> physical standby database would be, rather than
> > taking the primary
> database offline. I didn't see anything in the docs that
> > suggest this
> is a bad idea, but thought I'd check with the experts... In
> > practice
> it seems simple, but will there be any issues starting up/running
> > an
> instance off of the file copies, since before the shutdown it wasn't
> the
> > primary?
>
> Any help/advice you can provide would be
> > appreciated!
>
> Thanks,
> Jackie

===
If you think education is expensive, try ignorance. (Derek Bok) ===

DBA!ert, Independent Oracle consultancy Kastanjelaan 61C
2743 BX Waddinxveen
The Netherlands
tel. +31 (0) 182 64 04 28
fax +31 (0) 182 64 04 29