Re: DataGuard and closed/cold backups

From: The Oracle <theevoracle_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 10:58:29 -0600

I'm helping out a sister company who needs to send a copy of their database to a vendor. They tried a hot backup, and it apparently was deemed unreadable by the vendor... So by the time the request came to me, they had already decided to do a cold backup and send that out.=20 I'm just trying to avoid having them take the production database down to do it, as this will create more problems than it's worth...

Thanks very much for the info!

-Jackie

On 5/29/05, Carel-Jan Engel <cjpengel.dbalert_at_xs4all.nl> wrote:
> Jacky,
>=20
> Why on earth would you take a cold backup these days?=20
> It is probably not a problem, the only issue I see is you have to activat=
> the database after mounting it as a standby database. I have never tried =
it,
> though, because I cannot see the point of taking a cold backup. So, again=
,
> why not take a hot backup?
>=20
> Best regards,
>=20
> Carel-Jan Engel
>=20
> =3D=3D=3D
> If you think education is expensive, try ignorance. (Derek Bok)
> =3D=3D=3D=20
>=20
>=20
> On Mon, 2005-05-30 at 00:05, The Oracle wrote:=20
> Well, I've R'd the FMs, and can't seem to find a clear answer - as I'm
new
> to DataGuard, I need your help! :-)

I've been asked what the ramifications
> of doing a cold backup on a

physical standby database would be, rather than
> taking the primary

database offline. I didn't see anything in the docs that
> suggest this

is a bad idea, but thought I'd check with the experts... In
> practice

it seems simple, but will there be any issues starting up/running
> an

instance off of the file copies, since before the shutdown it wasn't the
> primary?

Any help/advice you can provide would be
> appreciated!

Thanks,
Jackie