RE: FW: backing up rman catalog for disaster recovery

From: Marquez, Chris <cmarquez_at_collegeboard.org>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 12:26:12 -0400

Charlotte,
>>I must confess to being equally paranoid but in a slightly different way
>>I have a script that checks the RMAN logs and also looks in the backup directory to see what's there.

Nice...yet another paranoid, doubting, tormented DBA. I thought it was just me...I'm in good company.  ;o)

Chris Marquez
Oracle DBA

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org on behalf of Marquez, Chris Sent: Thu 5/26/2005 9:43 AM
To: charlottejanehammond_at_yahoo.com; ORACLE-L Subject: RE: FW: backing up rman catalog for disaster recovery

Charlotte,
Good to know and I believe I have heard something of this. Could you provide the snip of RMAN syntax that would generate the "controlfile autobackup" or is it one of the 9i "CONFIGURE" parameters? Is the "controlfile autobackup" allways generated as the *last* backup object int the RMAN session?

Also, what does one of these files looks like. I often suspect that I have a (auto created) backup controlfile, but I all of my backsets use the same formant...not able to differentiate then much other than size?

>>RMAN> restore controfilefile from '<name of autobackup file>';

So I can remover *all* of my controlfiles, startup nomount with the correct init.ora file and run this command and get my controlfile back...pushed into the right place(s) as identified in my init.ora...similar/same idea as the RMAN "replicate controlfile" command syntax?...Or I could simple "$>cp..." it to my correct controlfile location and names?

Thanks,

Chris Marquez
Oracle DBA