Re: Auditing original user in an n-tier environment

From: Thomas Day <tomday2_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 10:30:04 -0400

On 5/23/05, Christian Antognini <Christian.Antognini_at_trivadis.com> wrote:
>=20
>=20

> >We are fighting the exact same fight.  Oracle provides a mechanism
> >with DBMS_SESSION.set_context and sys_context.  However, this is not a
> >magic bullet.  We have a web-based application with pooled
> >connections.

>=20
> Tom

>=20
> Do you use global contexts?

>=20
>=20

> Chris
>=20

Global context isn't the issue --- though it's what I would use. The Web is state-less. With each new page it picks the next connection available to communicate with the database. If you have a 10 connection pool, during a single session with the application one user could end up using all 10 connections --- maybe even twice over.

With each new connection it is the application's job to establish the context for that connection (not session) with the Oracle database.

Currently we are using a home-rolled mechanism that mimics Oracle's.=20 It's no better or worse, just very poorly documented and no knowledge of how it works exists ourside the current group of contractors.

I guess that you'd call it job security.