RE: how to schedule a job on second saturday using cron ?

From: Hallas, John, Tech Dev <John.Hallas_at_gb.vodafone.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 15:31:33 +0100

I thought I had a saved mail to answer a similar sort of question but I cannot find it.

Looking around I see the following suggestion on Google

"A frustrating little problem. Set up cron so that it runs a script on the required day of every week, rather than on that day every second week. Inside the script put an 'if' statement. Calculate the current day as a number of days since any fixed time in the past, perhaps using date(1) for a bash/ksh/sh script. If the number of days is even, run your fortnightly job. If the number of days is odd, finish without running anything"

Given the above you could probably just type the list of dates in to a file (only 26/year) and search that file to compare with today's date and if true then run a job else exit.

John