Re: tkprof & explain question

From: Wolfgang Breitling <breitliw_at_centrexcc.com>
Date: Sat, 21 May 2005 08:33:35 -0600

When you tkprof a trace, the statements have already been executed. tkprof with explain will only explain the sql as it encounters them. However, unless you are dealing with traces of Oracle 7 systems, there should be no need to use the explain option on tkprof. The trace already contains the execution plan in the form of STAT lines and tkprof will format them. The explained plan may actually show something different from the plan that was used at execution.

At 04:20 AM 5/21/2005, The Human Fly wrote:

>However, my question is, when I am using
>tkprof with explain parameter, if there are any insert,update or
>delete statements in my trace file, are they going execute or just
>produces explain plan wihtout executing them?

Regards

Wolfgang Breitling
Centrex Consulting Corporation
www.centrexcc.com