Re: Any ideas for running CRON jobs under Security Requirements

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 08:44:36 -0700

That works well when you need to access instances on a single server (SAP works this way), but breaks down when using a centralized tool to access multiple databases on multiple servers. You could use external authentication (Kerberos, Radius). I have no personal experience with that myself..

On 5/15/05, Peter McLarty <peter.mclarty_at_pameacs.com> wrote:

> Hi All
>
> Just one to help you along on this path an application I work with does
> all its batch processing with an OPS$ account and has passed through a
> number Audits successfully
>
> The programs are COBOL and access a table it has select on to get the
> correct username and password which is stored in the DB and is visible
> to the OPS$ account. for someone to get a program to run would require
> access to COBOL to compile it successfully and it would have to be
> compiled on the servers that run the application to be able to use the
> connection function and then they need a second account as the OPS$
> account cant do compiles. Impossible, no someone could do something
> malicious, but the number of people that would have suitable access
> would generally be limited so restricting the opportunity.
>
> Is it in my opinion compliant open for debate but it seems to be passing
> the audits successfully.
>
> Cheers
>
> Peter

Jared Still