Auditing original user in an n-tier environment

From: Rusnak, George A. (SEC-Lee) CTR <george.rusnak_at_deca.mil>
Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 13:51:19 -0400

GURUS,
Oracle EE: 9.2.0.5
Hardware: HP-UX

3 tier architecture: Presentation, Application and Database. Language: Cold Fusion

Challenge:
How do we capture the user logging into the Presentation layer and pass that original user id through the Application layer to the database layer and be able to capture that original user id in the audit logs. The Application layer always connects to the database as the SAME user NOT as the original user. We need to know what code goes in what tier. I have read and searched but cannot find a doc on how to do this. With all the multi-tier architectures out there I was hoping to find a ton of information on this subject.

THANK YOU, Al Rusnak
* 804-734-8210