Re: Oracle alternatives

From: Radu-Adrian Popescu <radu.popescu_at_aldratech.com>
Date: Sun, 8 May 2005 12:52:05 +0300 (EEST)

> Excellent.
>
> My advice to you, Mr. Popescu: don't use MySQL.

Thanks, not needed really, but a good advice nevertheless.

> I don't care what you do.

Right.

> We have come up with a LAMP solution that works fine for us.

We're using LAMP as well: Linux, Apache, Middleware, Postgresql.

> We also use Oracle and SQL Server in other situations and they work
> fine for us too.

Same experience here.

> I'm sure I could spend the rest of the weekend coming up with little
> sound bites of weird things Oracle and SQL Server does, but quite
> frankly I have a life. Buddy of mine just told me there's a major
> hatch happening in the upper Madison River valley so we're flying up
> there and doing some fishing.

:)
OK, once you're done fishing, think of how it's possible that 10 years or so into "production" a piece of code that maintains it implements ACID compliance has such idiotic failures, and how much you could actually trust that ACID compliance from this perspective. Then add replication and pitr and the rest.

I do see where you're coming from, and I sort of understand your reaction. You're in a de facto situation, so to speak, and unwilling to admit that the choices made were, well, less than appropriate. That's fine, I'm really not aiming to have you kick your head against the flat panel and have panic attacks thinking about this stuff. I would appreciate it however if instead of spewing random pieces of "advice" and implying that anyone interested in how fucked up MySQL really is does not have a life, you'd have had a more... mature and technical reaction.

> I'll leave the geek stuff to you.

Thanks, but I already have the "geek stuff".

> So long, and thanks for all the fish.

You're quite welcome, I do hope you've had a lovely weekend !

> --Arthur Dent

Cheers mate,

--
Radu-Adrian Popescu