Re: Oracle alternatives

From: Walt Weaver <weaver1308_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 7 May 2005 11:13:45 -0600

Why not MySQL?

We have over 400 "commodity" Intel boxes running Linux and MySQL. We use master-to-master replication for failover, and each master box is replicated to a slave. We're currently in the process of setting up cross-datacenter replication too. It's easy and fast.

We don't lose data and don't have a problem with data corruption and downtime. Contrary to a much stated, but misguided and wrong, statement on this list from a member or two there really is roll-forward and point-in-time recovery available in MySQL. We use it on a daily basis. And, it makes moving customers from one box to another fast and painless, with no more than a couple of seconds downtime for the customer.

I've been using Oracle for almost 20 years now. I've administered Postgres databases for a few years (not currently) and was very impressed with it. Great database. I've been using MySQL for about 5 years now and have watched it evolve from a fast, cheap, and oft-times unreliable product into a viable solution.

The right tool for the job. I fly into backcountry airstrips in Montana on a pretty regular basis, flying in a small airplane some people think is dangerous and held together by duct tape, but is actually very reliable and perfect for the job. Works slightly better than an Airbus 320, although the Airbus does a pretty good job for what it was designed for.

I'm not going to denigrate any database. They all work well. I'm not going to call one "a toy", "trash", or "overpriced". If it works for my needs I'll use it.

--Walt Weaver
  Bozeman, Montana
  MySQL Certified Professional