RE: rm RULE based optimizer != GOOD IDEA

From: Marquez, Chris <CMarquez_at_aarp.org>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 10:27:19 -0400

I have not supported Oracle Apps, but from what I understand it is loaded with hints and I believe some of the using "RULE hint. Seems a little "Do as I say not as I do" from Oracle Corp....eh?

I agree about the spending all day on with stats and explain plans. I have a script to look for blocking locks using v$ views...it ran ok, but a DBA friend made if faster in about 5 minutes by adding a RULE hint.
Maybe I should be going after the base Oracle tables, but I don't have all day.

Finally about execution plans and speed changing of sql using the RBO. If I'm not mistaken many environment changes can effect CBO too!?

Chris Marquez
Oracle DBA
HEYMONitor(tm) - heymonitor.com
"Oracle Monitoring & Alerting Solution"

From: Niall Litchfield [mailto:niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com]=3D20 Sent: Friday, April 22, 2005 4:41 AM
To: Post, Ethan
Cc: Michael Fontana; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: Re: rm RULE based optimizer !=3D3D GOOD IDEA

It seems a big leap to me from "adding the RULE hint helps my one query", to "we should keep the RBO", not least because you can achieve the same effect without the RULE hint.

--=3D20

Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Fri Apr 22 2005 - 10:31:31 CDT