Re: Message quoting in threads

From: jungwolf <spatenau_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 11:05:38 -0500

On 4/20/05, Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> It seems that abundant disk space has spoiled us.
> It would really be nice if more folks quoted only the
> minimal relevant parts of the message being responded to.
>=20
> It would make the threads much easier to read.

I agree. I'd also suggest top quoting instead of bottom quoting (putting the quoted, original message at the top instead of at the bottom). This helps in many ways: posts can be read in chronological order from top to bottom, inline responding is easier/more natural, and it fosters trimming. It fosters trimming because an author, upon review, should notice that most people are not going to read past 5 pages of quoted material to get to the response. (If one really needs to quote 5 pages verbatim in order to continue the conversation, it is time to move to a peer-reviewed journal.)

I blame the many email clients that default to bottom quoting.

Steven