Re: Datawarehouse backup

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 08:47:24 +0000

As Tim and Jared have pointed out it does seem rather a curious strategy. My rule of thumb (i.e. you could convince me otherwise but it had better be a good argument) is that if a database is worth backing up then you care enough about the data in it to run with the protection that archivelog mode gives you. If you don't care enough about the db to run in archivelog mode (because you can always recreate the data perhaps) then why back it up at all.

In addition your recovery procedure seems to omit putting the tablespaces back in read-write mode before you run your ETL jobs (though I guess you'd discover that quite quickly). I also don't understand why you are putting the tablespaces in READ-ONLY mode anyway, the more normal use for this is when you aren't going to write to them ever again and so you just want to take one final backup (well OK 3 just to be on the safe side) and never back them up again.

The better way is to run in archivelog mode and never take the database down at all.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA