Re: Case study for interviewing Oracle DBA

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 23:52:12 +0000

That reminds of the last time we interviewed for a developer position.

I devised a progressive test involving 2 or 3 tables. I believe there were 5 scenarios for which a SQL statement had to be written.

If they couldn't write simple SQL, there were not qualified.

The final puzzle involved and outer join and wasn't really too hard.

One candidate actually argued with me about the necessity of an outer join.

Didn't matter if he was or was not correct, the fact that he argued with the interviewer lent some insight into the kind of cow-orker he would be.

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 01:35:40 -0500, mhthomas <qnxodba_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,

> ME: (finally had enough) "Did you just say you don't want the job. Yes or No?".
> THEM: "I'm not sure"
> ME: "I take that as a no, so I will pass along you are no longer a
> candidate. Goodby".
>
> Then I went to my manager and took the rest of the day off. :-)
>
> Regards,
>
> Mike Thomas

Jared Still