SQL*Loader ignoring additional columns when delimited

From: <scott.hutchinson_at_interact-analysis.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 17:44:01 +0000

All,

I have a problem where SQL*Loader is loading rows from a delimited file, even when the file erroneously contains too many delimiters. In this case, I would like SQL*Loader to treat the row as invalid and write it to it's "bad" file.

Does anyone know a way of forcing SQL*Loader to reject rows from a file that contains too many delimiters? We can validate the file prior to loading it, but I prefer to avoid this due to the time involved.

EG (Oracle vsn 9.2.0.4):

Input file (columns delimited by "]" ) - contains 3 fields cat delim_test.dat
AAA]BBB]CCC Table has 2 columns
desc delim_test
 Name Null? Type

SQLLdr reports:
Table DELIM_TEST:
  1 Row successfully loaded.
  0 Rows not loaded due to data errors.
  0 Rows not loaded because all WHEN clauses were failed.   0 Rows not loaded because all fields were null.

Table contains:
select * from delim_test;

FLD1 FLD2
AAA BBB Thanks,