Your job as a candidate (was Case study for interviewing Oracle DBA)

From: Bellows, Bambi <bbellows_at_usg.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 08:56:07 -0700

Friends --

A few years ago, I shared the benefit of my experience as a consultant with 2x years in the field in the area of getting a job, and, since this thread became that, I thought I would share this simple truth with you. Your job as a candidate is to present your skills (via your resume) in such a way as to get you from a big pile to a little pile, recursively, without any additional input from you. If your resume makes it to the littlest pile, you will be one of the people interviewed, and, only then, can you wow the hiring manager with your technical prowess.

Before then, make sure your resume is easy to read for the people whose job it is to make little piles out of big ones. Take all the buzz words and put them right at the top without big fancy paragraphs of stuff around them. If you have degrees and certifications and security clearances, put them right up top. If Brainbench, or some other certifier, runs a special on "get all your certifications updated for free, this week only!", don't be a fool; go do it. If you have a snazzy page of publications and books and articles, attach it as a page on the back; if you have two or three, put them right up front. Don't bother even talking about the experience until after you have the buzzwords in place, because you won't talk to the people who care about the experience until after you have passed through the people who care about buzzwords. =20

Your resume is your strongest technical asset. Manage your career carefully and take care that your resume both presents you in the best possible light and that it satisfies as many box-tickers as possible.

HTH,
Bambi.