Re: Case study for interviewing Oracle DBA

From: Ramesh FL <karai.ramesh_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 18:57:46 -0800

Thanks for every one who shared their thoughts and gave their inputs here.

When I said "system", I was not talking about the IT or computer field alone. The successes of Rachel and Bambi (Not sure if it is a female name, but I am assuming Bambi is a lady - sorry, been living here for more than 7 years, but still some names confuse me. I have seen a male and a female with names Renee) does not mean that things are fine for ladies. We have to look at the whole industry (IT or otherwise). I remember seeing in CNN just two years ago that women are getting paid 75% of what men make overall - That is the statistic. And I am of the opinion things were definitely not this good for them 30 years ago.

My complaint still remains: It seems, from what I have seen atleast, many of the time working around the system is not possible.

Basically, I am trying to tell these points the following people are making:

Rachel: "Good marks in school and on standardized tests don't necessarily prove how smart you are or how well you can problem-solve."

Ryan Gaffuri: I have worked with guys who could do the work, but they can't get in because they do not have an undergraduate degree.

Thanks Joel: "And giving a bit of help to the idiot MBA's without making them feel inadequate can go a long way towards job security."

and Thanks Dave W too, for the tip on how to say 'No' to managers. I am learning a lot from here too.

Thanks all.