Re: Case study for interviewing Oracle DBA

From: rachel carmichael <wisernet100_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 21:18:09 -0500

I wish it were that easy -- HR isn't impressed by books, papers or presentations. Believe me, I can attest to that.

DBAs may know who you are if you've done those things but HR couldn't care less. They base whether or not you can be hired at the "executive" level (meaning those "high" salaries IT people get) by the check boxes.

Case in point. I have a solid page of presentations, papers, books on my resume. For one interview, all they wanted to know was "does she have a college degree"

yep I have one. from 1975. happens to actually be a Computer Science degree. But most of what I learned for that degree is totally useless and.or irrelevant to what I do today . But the fact that I had one was more important than any book or reputation I might have