Re: NLS_CHARACTERSET client settings

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 09:54:41 -0800

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 08:19:25 -0500, Mercadante, Thomas F <thomas.mercadante_at_labor.state.ny.us> wrote:
> Jared,
>
> If you use two Oracle Homes, you can update the NLS_LANG registry setting to
> identify which language you are speaking when you run your client software.

I've thought about that. There are scenarios where it would likely work.

(weasel words to indicate I haven't yet tested this ;)

probably work:

Two Oracle homes. Each application uses a config file to specify location of Oracle components.

probably won't work:

Two Oracle homes. Each application relies on PATH to find location  of Oracle components.

probably work:
Two Oracle homes. Application uses ODBC. Setup DSN's each with an Oracle ODBC driver from a different Oracle home.

probably work:

A single Oracle home, use CMD files to run that apps, setting NLS_LANG in each as needed.

Another option is to use a CMD file as above, but set the correct Oracle Home and PATH via scripts that retrieve from the registry, and/or modify the registry. I already have the scripts for this, but it is intended for use on servers and my laptop, too much complexity to dump on the folks maintaining user machines.

--
Jared Still