RE: RAC no more HA after upgrading to 9.2.0.6?

From: Brian Wisniewski <brian_wisniewski_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 09:59:15 -0800 (PST)

Interesting. I'll have to make sure we test that thouroughly in our lab before we move 9.2.0.6 into production.

I'm assuming you are correct that if you lost the switch that you'd experience the same loss as you would if you lose the other server.

As crazy as it may sound we went out and bought a $100 Linksys Gigabit switch and put in between our boxes vs the crossover and it's been working like a champ.

You are right: we are using a crosscable since we do not have a gigabit ethernet switch (and management is not eager to spend thousands of euros for one *sigh*). However even unplugging it with 9.2.0.4 didn't give us problem: we got a normal node eviction but the second node went on giving service.=20
Not so from sunday, when we upgraded.

However the problem would still be there with a switch: what if that network device is switched off? it would be identical to unplugging a cable...

RAC used to work even with a cross cable. To check for a working interface is not a bad thing... but this is not a hardware HA solution anymore. Only a logical one.

I would use a switch for some testing but I don't have one (maybe I should revert to 10/100 NIC and using a normal switch).=20

Fabrizio

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Tue Feb 01 2005 - 13:06:14 CST